5 Self-Care Tips for Parents in the New Year
Posted: January 23, 2019 | Word Count: 702
As we begin a new year, it’s important to reflect on our successes and examine the areas we’d like to nurture more in the year ahead. One area that often gets deprioritized by busy parents, but is essential to our wellbeing, is self-care. Setting aside time to reenergize your own needs will not only impact your physical, emotional and mental health, but will also allow you to feel more present and patient toward others. Take some time to develop your self-care routine with these tips in the new year:
1. Nourish your mind and body: Eating nutritious whole foods is fundamental for our mental and physical wellbeing. Food affects our mood, so cutting back on sugar and processed foods will help to feel less sluggish and more energized. Start by developing mindful habits like finding ways to sneak more vegetables into meals and identifying better-for-you alternatives to familiar favorites. Meal delivery boxes are a great way to explore new recipes and are a lifesaver during busy weeks.
2. Schedule “me time”: Just as you would block time on your calendar for upcoming appointments, block a few hours for essential “me time” each week. Prioritizing time for yourself — even just one hour — gives you time to unwind and recharge. Visit the nail salon, head to your favorite workout class or take a bubble bath — you’ll feel more present and relaxed after.
3. Connect more: Stay connected with loved ones and maintain relationships. Whether it’s a long distance family member or nearby best friend, taking the time to call someone and ask how they’re doing will show you care. In exchange, surrounding yourself with loving, supportive people will remind you that you’re doing a great job. An affordable family plan makes it easier to stay connected, and with Walmart Family Mobile’s multi-line discount you can get two Truly Unlimited lines* with talk, text and data at 4G LTE† speeds for less than $75 per month. Or you can add up to four additional lines to any unlimited plan for just $24.88 per line, which makes staying connected that much easier.
4. Plan nights out: Whether it’s a date night with your spouse or a group outing with friends and family, a night out is a welcome change of scenery for parents. Select a date in advance and start a group text to get everyone involved. Try a new restaurant, take a cooking class, see a new movie or visit an art gallery — scale your plans to fit your budget and have fun with it. Getting out of the house, socializing with other adults, and doing intellectual activities is a refreshing break from the day-to-day routine.
5. Get the kids onboard: If blocking time on your calendar for alone time seems impossible, find creative ways to make it work by getting the kids onboard. Children also benefit from downtime — using the opportunity to write in a journal, read a new book and exercise their imagination. Take the kids to your local library to pick out a new book and do some reading or flip through a photo book on their own. It’s beneficial to them and gives you time and space to do the same.
This year, don’t forget to carve out time for yourself and practice self-care. Be mindful and kind to yourself, and find ways to get the whole family onboard. Embrace options that make life a little easier too — from meal delivery boxes to library passes and shared family plans. Walmart Family Mobile makes it easy and affordable for families to stay connected with no-contract unlimited plans starting at just $24.88 per month, so your family can get more for less. To learn more, visit www.myfamilymobile.com.
* Plus taxes and fees. Additional lines must be of equal or lesser value. Add up to four additional lines for only $24.88/mo. each line.
† To get 4G LTE speed, you must have a 4G LTE capable device and 4G LTE SIM. Actual availability, coverage and speed may vary. During periods of congestion, Walmart Family Mobile customers may notice reduced speeds versus carrier branded customers. LTE is a trademark of ETSI.